Top 10 Tips Guide: Senior Portraits
My Seniors are beautiful people with special energy. I work closely with each to bring out the facets of their personalities in the form of visual art. Just as each human being is an individual, each photoshoot is also individual. This is my specialty. I want to get to know who you are and what you love, and bring that out on camera. Your portraits should be a positive reflection of who you are.
My style is natural and relaxed. I like to enhance what’s naturally there rather than trying to create something that isn’t you. I almost always opt to take photos in natural light rather than an artificially lit studio environment. I work directly with my Seniors to choose a location that’s meaningful and photogenic. Below are my top 10 secrets to helping you take the best senior portraits ever!
1. Bring multiple outfits I highly recommend bringing 3-5 outfits to the shoot so we have lots of options to play with. Make sure to bring several changes of clothing, shoes, and accessories so we can mix and match on the day of your session.
2. Try on outfits beforehand- A lot of my clients like to take selfies in the mirror about a week beforehand to ask for my advice on their choice of wardrobe, and I’m always very happy to give tips and pointers. If you do get a new outfit or two for your photos, it’s super important for you to try them on (and possibly wear them for a full day) well in advance to make sure the fit is perfect and they’re comfortable for you. Comfort is key to getting great images!
3. Keep outfits simple -This is a big one! Both both ladies and gentlemen: avoid logos, mascots, and lots of small patterns at ALL costs unless you’re on a school team and that’s part of your identity! Logos and mascots tend to take the focus off of your beautiful self, and small patterns can moire on camera. If you do go with patterns, which can look fabulous, make sure they’re simple, bold, and big. Text me a pic of anything you’re on the fence about so I can give you good input well before the shoot.
4. You may want to consider hiring a professional for hair & makeup These images we’re taking are going to last a lifetime and become and family treasure throughout the decades. It’s important to do everything you can to make sure they come out as beautifully as possible! I have a fantastic list of hair and makeup professionals that I’ve worked with in the past, so if you need a recommendation, just ask.
5. Manis & brows: something to think about – We’ll be doing a lot of poses with your hands and a lot of close-up facial shots. If you need a brow clean-up or some help to make your nails look fab, don’t shy away from having a professional work their magic on you before the session. Choosing a fun nail color can really add a pop of color to your images, so think of getting a mani as an extension of your outfits!
6. Don’t stress about braces- Knowing what not to stress about is just as important as knowing what is! For starters, if you’re wearing braces, don’t worry about those one bit. The point of a senior portrait is to capture the most authentic version of the real you at this very special point in time. If you’re wearing braces, that’s 100% okay! You’ll look back on these images many years later and treasure these youthful details.
7. Don’t stress about blemishes- If you wake up the morning of the shoot and your skin isn’t looking 100% like you want it to, not to worry – I’ve got you covered (literally!). It’s my job to make your skin look its very best in the final edits of your images.
8. Tan lines. Just no.- Ladies, this is HUGE! If you happen to have tan lines from enjoying those days in the sun, make sure to choose outfits that strategically cover them up. Nothing ruins a beautiful photo more than a glaring tan line on your arms or back. If you do have a tan line or two, hit me up the week before your session so we can strategize on outfits and poses together.
9. Wear clear deodorant -The day of the shoot, make sure you wear a clear deodorant. We’ll be playing with a lot of different poses, and having your underarms looking clean and beautiful is a must. If you need a recommendation on a brand, email me beforehand and I’ll help you out!
Return to Blog